Friday, October 28, 2011

Auburn dash panel, gets a new insert.

I decided to make an insert that fits inside my Auburn dash. Originally these dash panels had inserts, either engine turned aluminum or some other material. My insert is missing and I decided to make a new one from a 50's style metal laminate.
This will solve a major problem. It will allow me to drill smaller holes to accommodate my gauges, without disturbing the Auburn dash, until original gauges (out of my price range, for now) are found.

I basically made an accurate 3/4" plywood patters that fits perfectly. The insert material was then attached with double stick tape, and then "routed out" with a router and a flush trim bit.

Here is the result.

Without insert
The material

Pattern
Finished product, without holes cut

No comments:

Post a Comment